Thread: Liam's story

Thanks

Liam's story

Hey guys, I saw the fiction story on the homepage but that doesn't seem to be leading anywhere, so I thought I'd post my story here. I'm going to update this daily, if people like it it could be quite a long one, it starts off slow but it will get better(I hope), all criticism bar "IT WAS SHIT" is appreciated. This definitely is not the work of Shakespeare. Thanks, Hugh.
    CHAPTER 1: FIRST CONTACT
    Bright lights. Loud music. Good looking women. An abundance of drink. The party in the club was well under way on this particular Saturday night, and Liam was at the center of it. Tonight though, one of the women had brought in some coke, and Liam thought he might try it. He had smoked some weed at home, but never properly done drugs. There's a first time for everything, he thought, as he inserted the metal pipe into his nose and sniffed....

The first thing he noticed when he came too was the smell. It appeared he had made a mess in his pants, which wasn’t what he needed after waking up from a coma-like state. He took his phone out of his pants, which was difficult considering he was lying face down on the sofa, and it told him that it was infact Tuesday, he had obviously somehow made it back to his appartement and the mix of drugs and drink didn’t go down well with him. What surprised him though was that he had no coverage. He usually always had full coverage in his apartment. He shrugged it off, no coverage didn’t bother him half as much as the severe hunger pain in his stomach.

He made his way over to the fridge and opened it. Inside was a can of baked beans. And that was it. Liam didn’t care, he took it out and brought it over to the cooker. He tried to turn it on but nothing happened. “Stupid power cuts,” he muttered, but he wasn’t that surprised. Power cuts were quite frequent, though they had stopped quite a lot in the last month.

His hunger would not wait for the power to come back on so he opened the can and wolfed down the contents. Oh yea, that hit the spot. He got a glass from the press and poured himself some water, at least that still worked. He made his way to his room and changed his clothes, not bothering to take a shower yet. Once cleaned up, he went over to the chair, preferring that to the soiled couch, and sat down.
    He picked up the remote and turned on the TV, he paid the highest price in Tavianna for cable TV that was guaranteed to work, but compared to back home the highest price in Tavianna was nothing. He went to channel 5, the news channel, just to see if any breaking story had happened while he was in his mini-coma. Nothing. The TV screen was blue. This is really getting creepy, thought Liam. He went to channel 4, then 6. Nothing. Still that same blue screen. He went through all his 150 channels, each exactly the same. What the hell is going on, he thought.

The main thing is not to panic. In unknown, possibly dangerous situations, you **** up, you get killed or you get someone else killed. That was the one piece of his army training that really worked for any situation. The curtains were closed, he went over to them and pulled them back. He wasn't prepared for what he saw. "What the f...", he started, but he couldn't finish his sentence.

Instead of the quiet Etanovsk streets he expected to see, there was total mayhem. Cars were overturned, others were on fire, there were dead bodies everywhere, most of them with bullet holes in their heads. The strange thing was, most of the bodies were from the hospital, doctors, nurses and other medical staff. But the worst thing by far was what was happening to the bodies, Other people were feeding on them. Feeding. Had the world gone crazy and everyone turned cannibal? Liam really was scared shitless now. He focused in on one of the feeders, his face was extremely pale, like he didn’t have much blood. His movements were spordiadic, like he had a twitch that affected his whole body. From his second storey window, that was all Liam could see. But the feeder had not seen Liam yet, so he very slowly drew the curtains, walked back to the sofa and sat down, not caring he was sitting in his own piss.

It was obvious the world had gone mad, but what could he do? Calm Liam, calm. Getting panicked won’t do anything, except get you killed. Once calm, or as calm as he could be at a time like this, he analysed the situation. He had no food in his flat and there seemed to be mayhem outside. There were what looked like cannibals eating dead people out there, and most of the dead seemed to be hospital workers. What he needed to do was find other people, then he would be safe. Now he really wished he never had left home.

His mind went back to Ireland, where he was born, raised, and had lived for the first 22 years of his life. He had joined the air corps of the military, where he learned the basics of shooting, some survival, and how to fly a helicopter. He was sent over here with the UN on a peacekeeping mission after a civil war that swept through the region, affecting here, Chernarus and other areas nearby. He saw that life was a lot simpler over here, and he sold his house in Dublin and moved over. He had been here for the past 6 months, he told himself it was only a temporary break, until he could sort things out at home. But as he settled in, the life appealed to him more and more. Everything was dirt cheap, with the money from the sale of his house he could buy a nice apartment in the town of Etanovsk and live very comfortably for at least the next 3 years. Most people spoke English after the war, as the UN had been a presence for the past 5 years, until shipping out a year ago. Overall, life was pretty good for Liam. It was, until now.

Back in the present, he realised he needed a plan. He had a backpack in his room that he used when he went hiking, he could pack clothes, a map, a compass, his water bottle and the Makarov pistol he kept in a lock box on the bottom of his wardrobe. He didn’t really need it, but he prefered to be safe than sorry. He only had 4 clips though, so he couldn’t go shooting everything he saw. Not that he planned on doing that anyway.

It seemed the world had gone to hell, but he’d try make conversation with the canibals. If things went badly, he still had his pistol. If they were no help, he decided to go to the shop to get some food and drink, and then check out the local police station, they might have an idea what was going on.
    After he packed his bag he had a shower, the last, he suspected, for quite a while. He put on fresh clothes, grabbed his bag and his pistol and left his apartment. He went down the stairs and made his way onto the street. The cannibals were about 20 feet away, really tucking into that body. Another thing Liam noticed was that the cannibals were in Military uniform. Strange.

He got out his Makarov and called to the nearest one. “Hey there, do you have any idea what’s going on?”. The cannibal didn’t seem to notice, so Liam moved closer. When he was about 10 feet away, the cannibal suddenly stopped eating and turned around. His eyes were colourless, dead. He made a groan, a semi scream, and started moving towards Liam. His movements were disjointed, his head moved from side to side and his arms swung wildly. The thing that worried Liam the most was that he was running.
    “Stop right there or I will shoot,” Liam ordered, and he was only half bluffing. The thing kept running, 5 feet away now. Liam couldn’t take the chance, it looked like the thing had rabbies and was coming to bite him or something. Liam took aim and fired, twice into the things chest. It didn’t even flinch.

“Dear God, what the hell is this?” Liam asked, really beginning to panic. The thing was within grabbing distance when Liam made a run for it. He was slightly faster than it, but it made no signs of giving up. He ran down the road and made his way for the shop. He passed houses and pubs, all with things in them, some eating bodies, other just there, staring vacantly into space. The world really had gone to shit.
    He ran around the corner and he saw the shop, from the outside it looked pretty much the same, a concrete slab not build for looks, just for practicality. He ran through the door, the thing was still following him, but as soon as it passed through the door, it did the strangest thing. It slowed down. It didn’t stop, but it slowed to walking pace. Liam had no clue what was going on, but he wasn’t going to miss his opportunity.

Reasoning with it hadn’t worked, so he was going to take it out. He took aim with his pistol, this time he was going to aim straight for the head. He squeezed the trigger, the bullet left the gun and entered the things head right between the eyes. Thankfully it dropped to the ground, dead. Liam could almost have fainted with relief.

Now was not the time for celebration though. The shot was loud and the things nearby would surely have it, they were probably making their way over right now. He needed to act fast.

As he expected, the shelves were cleared. He went down the aisles and check the corners, he managed to find 2 cans of pasta, 2 sodas and a camping tent. He stuffed it all in his backpack, it wouldn’t be able to carry much more. He decided to check the backroom to see if there was more food, and that was where he found the crossbow. There were 2 steel bolts next to it, and thing looked in working condition. Liam knew it was not going to be great against fast moving targets that could only be taken down by headshots, but he took it anyway. It made him feel safer.

He took out his map and marked the airfield on it, making his way through Etanovsk. He hoped to find evac planes out of here, or at the very worst a chopper he could pilot himself. He left the shop and made his way east, knowing that the rules had very much changed. He had survived his first encounter, but survival was just the beginning.

Last edited by IrishHugo; 5th May 2013 at 10:03 PM.

Thanks
    Hi IrishHugo,

i am glad you found the right location.Good read so far and look forward to your next installment.And for the record IT WAS NOT SHIT!!!

neil.

Thanks
    Only constructive criticism I can offer is: indent your paragraphs. Makes for a much more pleasing read.

And speaking of grammar, neil, I just cannot wrap my head around your inability (or refusal) to hit your space bar after periods and commas. It makes the flow of your posts very strange, filled with intelligent content, read with an off sort of rhythm.
    ... Call me a language snob if you will, but when I see that it's like a bull seeing red.

Thanks
    Hello IrishHugo,

i apoligize for this twat aka Ev5000,but it appears he seems to care more for the comma or fullstop rather than why we are all here.Origins.I do hope that he does not pollute your story any more.As i said TWAT. LOL.

neil.

Thanks
    Thanks for replies guys, tried to implement paragraph indents but for some reason won't let me, just separated them instead. Have now completed chapter one, long bit added but continued reading really is appreciated, thanks.

Thanks
    Hello IrishHugo,

believe me there is nothing wrong with your paragraph indents.I think this guy is out to troll various posts and i am afraid you got targeted.Sorry.

neil.

VP Corporate communications <span class='glow_yellow'>Olga</span>'s Avatar
    Thanks
    Very good Read, very nice effort put into it. Well done
    Keep it up and looking forward for the next post

Thanks
    Sorry about no updates over the week, will definitely be getting 2 or 3 up over the weekend.

Thanks
    Hi IrishHugo,

ok will wait for the weekend installments.

neil.