Thanks

Skyrim CFX @ 11.11c

Okay, Ive had this posted in alot of places for ages, without any fixes.

So, here's a challenge for all you GP'ers!

I keep seeing conflicted reports of CFX usage in skyrim - (that is, reports of it working and some not)

Anyway, long story short: I'm on a clean install of W7 x64 and on 11.11c + CAP3 drivers, and vanilla skyrim (i.e. nothing modded).

I havnt played the game at all since release (dispite having it) as had terrible performance (negative scaling).

It would seem 11.11c are the same as the last 3/4 drivers released, that is: Crossfire doesent work and hasnt been improved.

Throughout the last releases, my CFX @ 1680x1050 gives me vairied FPS, <30FPS with highs of 50 or so, with GPU usage 1 & 2 @ ~40% each. Windowed mode (no crossfire) is much smoother, and runs 90 something % usage.

What really confuses me is why some people report CFX working, and some not.

Anyway, cutting to the chase, is there anything else I can try? (alt-tabbing gives no difference) - as I really would like to play, but, smoothly...

Note: @CatalystCreator on Twitter states it IS working, but highly CPU limited...I dont think so...

System specs:

i7 2600k
    Z68 Extreme3 Mobo
    8GB 1600mhz Ram
    ATI HD 6990
    X-Fi
    Hard drives consist of 1xSSD, 2x RaptorX's and 1 Data drive

Thanks
    This game has many bugs, the cause of your problem could be many things, but my gf plays this on her crappy laptop and she gets decent frames considering so you should be getting more than this for sure i assume you are running win7 ?

Thanks
    I've got your answer, switch to nVidia

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Guerilla View Post
    Nvidia FTW!

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Guerilla View Post
    Very un-helpfull.

nVidia and AMD/ATI both have issues - Nvidia's card's arnt so great, but their drivers are good. AMD/ATI's cards are the best by miles, but the drivers suck. So, doesent really matter who you go with overall.

I'm on W7 x64 yes.

(bit below is from a different forum I just posted in, I wont "re-write it" - just copying it here )
    Just a little update...

I decided to give overclocking my i7 a whirl, and managed to try skyrim.

(I say try, as on a prime95 the temps hit 80 & Bluescreened @ 4.8Ghz, however that was with the motherboards auto-oc, which proberbly wasnt a good idea...Ive actually no idea what acceptable temps for a i7 2600k are >.<)

Anyway, on skyrim the overclocked CPU did help quite a bit, GPU usage on both around 60% - FPS @ 1080p around 50 to 60 FPS with full AA, AF.

Atleast its an improvement...however, without the OC'd cpu its still @ 40% per GPU and negative scaling.

Quote:
    (@CatalystCreator) Skyrim CF is support in 11.11c - but title can be CPU bound in certain cases, so that's why CF scaling is not always apparent
    an i7 2600k shouldnt need to be overclocked to such a level for crossfire to scale

I'm close to just getting a 360 copy, cant be arsed to overclock just for the one game.

Edit: (On 12.1 preview drivers now)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Plague View Post
    Very un-helpfull.

nVidia and AMD/ATI both have issues - Nvidia's card's arnt so great, but their drivers are good. AMD/ATI's cards are the best by miles, but the drivers suck. So, doesent really matter who you go with overall.
    That's not true, AMD its no longer how it used to be. And there product are falling..
    and...

nVIDIA FTW