Thanks

Dance *****LagFreeServers, DDOS, US001 and general server performance issues*****

I am going to try to address all main concerns in a single thread to keep all the relevant information in one location.

This thread is for the dissemination of information ONLY. I know plenty of you have plenty of opinions on the switch from GTX, LFS performance, etc etc etc.

I don't care, that is not what this thread is intended for and if you want to complain please start a new thread to do so.

1. LagFreeServers as a company
      1. They are replying to my tickets faster than I can reply to their replies, which you all likely know is nearly impossible, and they are extremely patient, professional, and accommodating so their level of customer service is top notch.
      2. Every ticket I have opened up has been replied to in less than 10 minutes and the response was more accurate than my hypothesis as a Director of Network Operations in real life, so they DO know what they are doing.
      3. I have no stake in this conversation or the hosting relationship, but I have no problem admitting that I think they are doing a good job.

2. Performance Issues
      1. Yes, it does look like more than one game server is being hosted on a single physical machine, you shouldn't be even remotely surprised about that fact.
      2. The problem may not be your server, or how densely the are being hosted (servers per box), but it MAY be that the other servers on the box are being neglected and not rebooting as needed (see quote below)
      3. I do believe that they have found a proper hosting density (servers per box) as long as all the rest of the servers on that box are functioning correctly.
      4. I suggest that IF you have performance issues, and are the responsible admin for a particular server, that you register and open a ticket at www.lagfreeservers.com and just let them know you're seeing poor performance and please check your server as well as the rest on the host.

3. DDOD Attacks (from what I can tell, limited in scope to the most active rented servers, like usual):
      1. Their reply: Yes the server is under DDOS again, unfortunately nothing financially reasonable can be done to prevent attacks as big as these so we have to wait it out. We apologize for the inconvenience
      2. That is a completely fair response, regardless of whether you like it. This particular area isn't my expertise, but implementing successful protection against large scale DDOS definitely takes a large capital investment. It's fair to assume that they may not have the revenue or bank roll to do that or that their profit margins wouldn't provide for an acceptable return on that investment. It's all about return on investment

4. US001 server performance
      1. As stated in the quote below, the other game servers running on the box were not rebooting correctly which was causing all instances on the box to run poorly. He resolved the issue and, I'm not sure if it will take effect now or after the next reboot, but you should HOPEFULLY see improved performance.
      2. I have already sent the following request to see if this issue can be avoided in the future:
        1. Can you set up system alarming for process utilization that alerts you when any instance goes over a certain threshold on memory or CPU, or at least on the entire physical server, to try and pro-actively identify these situations?

Dear valued customer,

Thank you for getting in touch with us.

My hunch was right, 3 other servers on the machine did not restart for 20 hours, this causes lag and desync because of all the quests that are started and because the longer an ArmA 2 server is up the more resources it uses. Please monitor the performance tomorrow and let us know.

If you have any other questions please leave a reply, we look forward to hearing from you again!

All the best,
    LagFreeServers

1. I suggest that IF you have performance issues, and are the responsible admin for a particular server, that you register and open a ticket at www.lagfreeservers.com and just let them know you're seeing poor performance and please check your server as well as the rest on the host.

You can reply to this thread with feedback on US001 if you like, AFTER the next reboot in 3 hours, so that I can more readily pass it back to LFS tomorrow night.
    Do not post anything that isn't constructive, as stated above.

--------------------------------------------------------
    Last edited by jjondle; 10th April 2014 at 03:45 AM.
    JOSH

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jjondle For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Jondle...this is a good post...

Some concerns....if the only answer is to wait then we are at the total mercy of the DDOSer and if the DDOSer is stubborn he will in fact kill this mod...this is crazy...Lagfree servers should find out who he is, which I know can be done even when proxies are used to mask the IP and take legal action against him and sue his ass.

That this only stops when the DDOSer goes on vacation or gets bored is a joke...because reading between the lines here..we're screwed anytime a no lifer with a neckbeard wants to grief us.

..it's not yet I know...BUT there will be a time when enough will be enough and permanent damage will be done...this mod is the best and what a shame that some loser neckbeard who dates his cousin can shut us down anytime he feels the urge!!!

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to scholar For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    I'm with you on all that, but one correction

That's the point of the extra D in the acronym. It's distributed, so LFS can't just find the culprit and block them. Without advanced technology you may have to manually block hundreds of IPs and deciphering the difference between malicious and friendly traffic may be mostly guess work, result in valid players being blocked, and take an eternity to implement.

Like i said, I'm not an expert in this specific subject, but I do know it's not that cut and dry
    JOSH